Skip all Vatican lines with priority access before experiencing all the major highlights of the famous Vatican City! This popular Vatican tour covers the Musei Vaticani, Sistine Chapel, “Vatacombs” (we have special access to the underground tombs of former Popes), and St. Peter’s Church in c. three hours.
The Vatican City Tour covers the highlights from arguably the most important collection of art in the world with more than 1,200 rooms. Such highlights include the Rooms of Raphael, the Sistine Chapel, and Ancient Roman and Greek pieces in the Belvedere Courtyard. As the Sistine Chapel is located at the far end of over 1200 galleries, we will get you there quickly and without hassles or unnecessary waiting (while still covering the most important masterpieces along the way). Our guides provide a comprehensive background on the Sistine Chapel from before it was commissioned to the finishing touches, distinguishing between truth and popular legend as promulgated by Hollywood and popular books.After leaving the Sistine Chapel you will be proffered direct access to St. Peter’s Basilica, a privilege made available to When In Rome Tours and official guided tours only. All other visitors on other tours are forced to exit the Vatican and take the long route back into St. Peters, which involves long lines and lost time. You will be granted direct access into the Basilica straight after seeing the Sistine Chapel.
Our guide will lead you through the underground level we refer to as “The Vatacombs”, a rarely seen area of the Vatican where tombs of the former popes are located. We then head up into St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest basilica in the world built over what are believed to be the bones of St. Peter. Included in this visit are The Pieta’, and famous Dome designed by Michelangelo, the massive Baldacchino sculpted in bronze by Bernini, the Transfiguration by Raphael and other monuments of artistic importance. Outside the magnificent Basilica we discuss the history of the Vatican State, it’s Swiss Guard, and how St. Peter’s Square was designed.
- Highlights: Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, “Vatacombs” (we have special access to the underground tombs of former Popes), and St. Peter’s Church
- What’s included:
- 3 hours walking tour,
- Licensed English speaking guide.
- Priority skip the line Vatican tickets
- Morning Vatican tour
- Vatican Museums tour
- Sistine Chapel tour
- Vatacombs tour
- St. Peter’s Basilica tour
- Dress Code: Inside the Vatican City, for both ladies and men, knees and shoulders must be covered. For men, no shorts of any kind are allowed. No exceptions are made.
- Available: Every day excluding Wed, Sun.
- Starting at: April 1st – November 10th, meeting at 09:15 AM for departure at 09:30 AM. Between November 11th – March 31st, hours are 10:15 AM for departure at 10:30 AM.
- Persons: Average group size: 20 persons.