Guided tour to Palazzo Vecchio, Piazza della Signoria and Loggia dei Lanzi.
will introduce you to the extraordinary splendour of one of most renowned, historical and photographed squares and palaces in the world. Piazza della Signoria
with the sculptural masterpieces under the Loggia della Signoria
, by Cellini and Giambologna.It is an incomparable open-air museum and the elegant Palazzo della Signoria
with its soaring tower has been the political headquarters and one of the symbols of the city for centuries.
It was founded in 1299, designed by Arnolfo di Cambio and was the seat of the elected lords (Signori) of the Republic (Palazzo della Signoria) in the fourteenth century.
After the Medici conquered Florence in 1530, it remained the political headquarters of the town, as it is to this day, and in the 1540s Duke Cosimo de’ Medici appointed Vasari to transform it into a sumptuous abode for his family; when the Medici family moved to Palazzo Pitti, they called it Palazzo Vecchio (Old Palace).
Entering the building, one encounters the exquisitely elegant courtyard, the magnificent Hall of the Five Hundred and the intriguing complex of the Monumental Residential Quarters, frescoed by Ghirlandaio, Salviati, Bronzino and Vasari, as well as the statues by Michelangelo and Donatello.
- Be captivated by the beauty of an incomparable open-air museum where the elegant Palazzo della Signoria with its soaring tower and the sculptural masterpieces under the Loggia della Signoria reveal the creativity of Florentine architects and sculptors in the thirteenth to sixteenth centuries.
- Inside Palazzo della Signoria you can admire the Hall of the Five Hundred as well as statues by Michelangelo and Donatello.
- Don’t miss the visit of one of the symbols of the city: Palazzo della Signoria.
- What’s included: An English speaking professional guide, museum entrance fees, earphones are provided for groups of over 15 participants inside the museum.
- Available: All year round – on Monday
- Starting at: 16:15 pm
- Duration: 1 hour 45 min
- Persons: 1 guide max for 25 pax