Morning guided walking tour of medieval and renaissance Florence: Medici Chapels, Basilica of San Lorenzo, Dome complex, Piazza della Signoria, Ponte Vecchio and Pitti Palace.
This stimulating, thoroughly comprehensive, guided walking tour starts from the famous San Lorenzo Central market area, teeming with workshops and brightly decorative stalls, which surround the Medici Chapels and the Basilica of San Lorenzo - the Medici family parish church.
Shortly afterwards we turn into Piazza del Duomo, where the triumphant bulk of theCathedral greets our eyes with its dome by Brunelleschi, the bell-tower by Giottoand the Baptistery of St. John with its Doors of Paradise.
We thread through the medieval quarters where Dante Alighieri and Beatrice Portinari lived, until we come to the road covering the old Roman eastern wall and look up at the Bargello Palace.
Turning westwards, we enter Piazza della Signoria, a great open-air sculpture museum, dominated by the imposing Palazzo della Signoria.
Next to it is the Uffizi Gallery, one of the most important museums in the world. We then proceed to the picturesque Straw Market to see the famous Porcellino (Little Wild Boar) Fountain.
We then walk down the street that leads to the Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge), to be dazzled by the gold and jewels in the little medieval shops, as we cross the river Arno.
After enjoying the lovely views up and down river, on the south bank, we walk along Via Guicciardini until we emerge into the sloping square that leads up to the enormous Pitti Palace with its six museums, where our tour ends.
Free for children under the age of 6.
- Guided walking tour through the Medieval and Renaissance centre of Florence. A unique open-air museum with its Medieval streets, the magnificent Cathedral, the imposing Palazzo della Signoria and its statues.
- Admire the Straw market to see the famous Porcellino (little wild boar) fountain.
- Be dazzled by the gold and jewels in the little Medieval shops, nestled side by side, as you walk over the famous old bridge.
- What’s included: Professional Guide
- Available: From April to October.
- Starting at: 09:15 pm
- Duration: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
- Persons: 1 guide for 25/30 persons max